Elastomers with Bio-based Fillers
Embracing Bio-Based Fillers for Sustainable and Environmentally Friendly Solutions
Bio-based fillers are a category of fillers used in rubber molding that are derived from renewable and sustainable resources. These fillers offer an eco-friendly alternative to traditional fillers derived from non-renewable sources, such as carbon black and silica. Bio-based fillers are becoming increasingly popular due to their lower environmental impact and potential benefits in terms of biodegradability, reduced carbon footprint, and improved sustainability.
At Armstrong, we offer elastomer products made with up to x% content of bio-based fillers made from cellulose fibers. Cellulose fibers are a bio-based filler for rubber, derived from renewable plant sources, offering numerous advantages. Being eco-friendly and biodegradable, they reduce the environmental impact of rubber products.
Cellulose fibers act as reinforcing agents, enhancing the mechanical properties of rubber compounds like tensile strength and tear resistance, making products more durable. Their lightweight nature reduces the density of rubber items, and improved dimensional stability ensures consistent shapes. Additionally, cellulose fibers are cost-effective, versatile, and provide enhanced thermal and electrical properties. They contribute to safer handling, better processability, and can be tailored to meet specific requirements, making them an attractive and sustainable option for the rubber industry.
Following are the elastomer with bio-based fillers that are currently available in Armstrong:
- Natural Rubber, NR – Excellent mechanical properties and little heat buildup
- Styrene-Butadiene Rubber, SBR – Good traction properties and abrasion resistance
- Ethylene Propylene Rubber, EPDM – Least expensive oil resistant elastomer, resistant to many hydrocarbons
- Nitrile-Butadiene Rubber, NBR – Superior resistance to ozone and weatherability
- Chloroprene Rubber, CR – “Chlorinated natural rubber” – Improved oil, solvent, ozone and heat resistant compared to NR
- Fluorocarbon Rubber, FKM – High temperature resistant, excellent chemical resistant and fire resistant